|ISA Media Advisory
- Catch up with ISA at the Illinois State Fair, Aug. 10-20, and Ag Day, Aug. 15. ISA is sponsoring biodiesel-powered trams again this year, and has asked they be fueled with B20 – a 20 percent blend. Be on the lookout for new signs on the trams talking about the soy-based fuel. ISA will host the Farmers Little Helper area with Illinois Corn Growers Association. New this year are floor stickers sharing information with consumers. The stickers cover a wide range of topics, from animal agriculture to family farm size.
- In the fair’s commodities pavilion, stop by to see the new table toppers ISA created sharing positive messages about animal agriculture and the soybeans livestock and poultry eat.And join us for the “media happy hour” on Ag Day from 11 a.m. – noon. Talk to ISA leadership about sustainability, livestock, trade and legislative issues. Contact: Jayne Godfrey
- Don’t miss ISA at the Farm Progress Show. ISA will have a big presence at the Farm Progress Show, Aug. 29-31, in Decatur, Ill. ISA is joining forces with the Illinois Corn Growers Association on East Progress Avenue, between Fifth and Sixth Streets, across from the media tent. Here’s what to see while you’re at the show:
- Double-Crop Demo Plots. ISA, along with Syngenta, Growmark and Limagrain Genetics, are sponsoring double-crop demonstration plots at the Southwest Quadrant, location 2141. These are designed to show the benefits of early wheat varieties, which provide a longer growing season for soybeans. Estimates indicate a one bushel-per-acre-per-day advantage for earlier soybean planting. The plots highlight economic and environmental benefits to a double-crop system.
- Biodiesel Celebrities. Hear first-hand about the high performance of B20 from Brent Hajek. This Oklahoma farmer broke the land speed record with a truck fueled with B20. Hajek will have his truck on display and share his experiences reaching 182 mph in a B20-fueled Ford F-250. Also, learn about fuel storage maintenance from MEG Corp fuel experts and check out the Farm Progress Show field demos. ISA is sponsoring B20 to operate field demo equipment and trams.
- Stop by and talk with ISA’s CCA Soy Envoys, and check out the ILSoyAdvisor.com interactive touchscreen. Contact: Jayne Godfrey
- The Macoupin Creek Watershed will host a soil health field day, Aug. 17. Supported by the ISA checkoff program, the field day in Gillespie, Ill., will feature strip tillage demonstrations, cover crop trials and best management practices for improved water and soil quality, especially related to phosphorus runoff. Speakers include Jim Hoorman, soil health specialist with the National Resources Conservation Service, and Jim Isermann, Illinois field manager with Soil Health Partnership. Free lunch will be provided by Macoupin County Pork Producers. Register here. Contact: Mark Ingbritson
- ILSoyAdvisor.com will offer a soil fertility webinar, Aug. 23 from 10 to 11 a.m. Presented by Terry D. Wyciskalla, CPAg/CCA/4R Certified, the webinar will discuss the importance of soil sampling and analysis for high-yield soybeans. Register here. Contact: Mark Ingbritson
- Reminder: Farmers may still register for ILSoyAdvisor.com Yield Challenge. Soybean growers looking to find their edge may still enter the 2017 ILSoyAdvisor.com Yield Challenge contest. Farmers can enter the 100-Bushel Challenge, Crop-District Contest, Side-by-Side Contest or the new Double-Crop Yield Contest. Click here for more information to share with readers and listeners. Contact: Mark Ingbritson
Featured Interview Opportunity
- ISA elected its 2017-18 executive committee and seated new directors late last month. If you are interested in interviewing ISA chairwoman Lynn Rohrscheib or any of the other new officers or directors, we are happy to help set that up for you. To learn more about the new board, visit www.ilsoy.org. Contact Jayne Godfrey
- ISA partners with Sen. Harris for food access. Through its Soy in the City initiative, the ISA checkoff program helps Chicago-area consumers understand how soybeans positively affect their daily lives. ISA is partnering with State Senator Napoleon Harris to promote sustainable growing practices, like cover crops, during an open house at the Thornton Township High School Urban Farmers community garden. ISA also will provide ground pork to the Thornton Township Food and General Assistance Center. Contact: Sarah Duwe
- Chicago influencers invited to soy-inspired farm-to-table dinner. As part of the Soy in the City initiative, the ISA checkoff program is hosting a farm-to-table dinner Aug. 16 at the Museum of Science and Industry. Chicago-area food bloggers, dietitians and other influencers will explore different ways to use local, sustainably grown soy-based food ingredients and meet Illinois farmers. Food partners include Sodexo, Museum of Science and Industry, Eli’s Cheesecake Company and Phoenix Bean. Contact: Sarah Duwe
- Poultry exports grow soybean market. Several ISA board members recently visited Lima, Peru, with the USA Poultry and Egg Export Council. ISA supports promotions, workshops and seminars to grow U.S. poultry exports, which have increased from nearly 4,600 metric tons in 2011 to more than 20,300 metric tons in 2016. Soybean meal demand for poultry feed grows with export markets. Contact: Laura Temple
- August 11 Illinois Farm Families Whiskey Acres influencer tour
- August 16 Soy in the City Farm-to-Table dinner Chicago
- August 17 Upper Macoupin Creek Watershed Field Day Gillespie
- August 23 ILSoyAdvisor Soil Fertility Webinar Online
- August 29-31 Farm Progress Show Decatur
Receive More ISA News
Visit http://www.ilsoy.org/contact-us and sign up to receive our Illinois Field & Bean magazine, weekly updates, news releases and more.